Saturday, February 13, 2010

Happy Valentines Day, Shakespeare's Sonet 29, Translate by our San Ramon Rotary, President Dr. Bill Harlan, "The Bard", as he is known.

Happy Valentines Day,  Shakespeare's Sonet 29, Translate by our President Dr. Bill Harlan, "The Bard", as he is known.

Sonnet 29
 
When in disgrace with fortune and men’s eyes,
            When I feel like Fate is against me and others think I’m a loser,
I all alone beweep my outcast state,
            And I feel sorry for myself all alone
And trouble deaf heav’n with my bootless cries,
            And I feel like my prayers to God are ignored,
And look upon myself and curse my fate,
            And I examine my life and feel like it’s useless
Wishing me like to one more rich in hope,
            Because I don’t have the prospects that another person has
Featured like him, like him with friends possessed,
            Or because I’m not as good-looking as someone else or have as many friends,
Desiring this man’s art, and that man’s scope,
            Or envy another person’s talent or someone else’s power and influence,
With what I most enjoy contented least;
            When even things I like to do don’t make me feel better, in fact make it worse;
Yet in these myself almost despairing,
            When I am overwhelmed with these thoughts that make me almost despair,
Haply I think on thee, and then my state,
            Then by chance I happen to think of you and my state of mind
Like to a lark at break of day arising
            Becomes like a lark at dawn that flies to the sky,
From sullen earth, sings hymns at heaven’s gate;
            Leaving the depressing earth and instead sings hymns to the heavens,
For thy sweet love rememb’red such wealth brings,
            Because when I remember your sweet love it makes me feel so rich            
That then I scorn to change my state with kings.
            That I wouldn’t changes places with a king.

Posted via web from samparwiz's posterous

No comments:

Post a Comment